Saturday 4 December 2010

My first loads for muzzle loader competition

With my "muzzle loader / black powder enabler diploma" obtained after Portuguese Shooting Federation  MLAIC official training and certification last February, and with my fully custom Billinghurst pistol delivered last June, I started today, December 4th, the first loads for the première shooting I expect to perform (over a training session) within the next coming weeks (before year's end).

My diploma for muzzle loader and black powder
handling and shooting  
(Portuguese), February 2010

Across the last months I've been procuring and stocking all the required supplies and tools - in particular Eppendorf laboratory tubes (safe and resistant plastic, strong lid cover, single handed operation), appropriate funnel (from the "micro" perfume refill segment), measure tools (for both "size load" and "weight load" - double check standards are never to much safety for the subject at hand) storage cases and, of course, the "raw materials" - black powder (FFF) and corn semolina .

First task was to test measure and weight for the FFF black powder loads - the Billinghurst manufacturer, Tilo Dedinski, recommends a load between 10 to 12 grains (I will stock with the lower value). I used Lee Precision Inc. reload measure tool for 0,70 cc (according to Lee's included documentation "matrix") and my digital precision scale to cross check all items.

Lee Precision Inc. "slide" matrix for
measure tool size versus grains weight

"Eppendorf" laboratory tubes and "micro" perfume funnel

0,70 CC Lee Presion Inc. measure tool "re-tested"
with digital precision scale.












Next task... to measure the same weight (and naturally ending up with a much higher volume) for the corn semolina - where the Lee tool for 1,00 cc was just the right one. Once again double checking weight with the precision digital scale.




... side by side black powder and corn
- same weigth (10 grains), but approx. double volume for the corn




MTM transport cases "refactored" from standard rifle ammo standards (with appropriate "safety" labels, and a "custom" extra padding from the spares of my Peli transport cases) and a overview of my working desktop.










No comments:

Post a Comment