Thursday 2 December 2010

A great three course meal

December 1st, a Portuguese public holiday, and a great morning spent at the shooting range at Serra da Carregueira, Belas, Sintra. Took a "three course meal" for the field:


  •  my J. G. Anschutz (JGA)1400 .22 LR rifle;
  •  my STI Target Master 9x19mm pistol ;
  •  and, last but not least, my custom Air Arms TX-200 MK-III 4,5mm air rifle.


I started at 50 meters, with the "large" precision ISSF target, with the austrian made JGA 1400 - checking sights and fixing the left drift I got back from the last match. All solved, and several nice groups of 8-9-10s (with consistent and minimal horizontal and vertical drift) came out easly. Still some magazine feed issues here and there - but it's vintage material (and already got a factory new magazine to use for matches and keeping the original one for collectable value integrity).

I then proceeded to a mini training session with the STI Target Master 9x19mm for checking sights alignment (finally solved the leftish issues from the end of summer Nationals at OTA) and grip stance, spending approx. 50 units of Winchester 115 grains FMJ ammo. My "final series" scores where 47 / 50  on the "25 meter speed target" and 48 / 50 on the "25 meter precision target". Very happy with the result and very confident on sights and pistol.

Last not but not least... I took care of zero-in' my good "old" trusty 4,5 air rifle Air Arms (AA) TX-200 MK III (bought from Manchester Air Guns back in late 1998), customized with a J. Maccari "kit", over a laminated wood thumbhole stock, scoped with a Busnell 24x over Sportmatch UK single piece mounts and shooting AA Field pellets. Three years have passed since I used it, and this was a new scope and mounts set... amazing that in only 5 impacts at 25 meters I got it zero-ed and got to the "one hole" series in a breeze - having fun using the 9 mm holes from the STI Target Master previous training as challenges (all went trough).

I spent about 4 hours at the range and came home with a warm cosy feeling of mission accomplished on this three course "meal". Shooting is great - and all the "bolts and nuts" around it are challenging, fun and overall rewarind to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment